Up to 8 million birds poached in Italy each year
21 May 2015
Species targeted include endangered marble duck, birds of prey (foto: ANSA)
(ANSA) - Rome - Up to 8 million birds die in Italy each year as a result of illegal trapping and poaching, Italian watchdog organisation LIPU said Thursday.
Texas hunter shoots endangered Namibian rhino for $350,000
May 20, 2015
A US hunter who paid $350,000 to kill a black rhinoceros in Namibia has shot the animal, saying his actions will help protect the species (AFP Photo/Tony Karumba)
Windhoek (AFP) - A US hunter who paid $350,000 to kill a black rhinoceros in Namibia successfully shot the animal on Monday, saying that his actions would help protect the critically-endangered species.
Myanmar's dam plans may cause new kind of poverty, villagers warn
18 May 2015
By Christiane Oelrich
Myanmar villagers demonstrate against hydro dam - © Hsa Moo, EPA
Yangon (dpa) - Giant dams, mighty hydroelectric plants and mega-bucks from foreign electricity sales: that's the vision of the future touted by the government of Myanmar, as it tries to lift the country from poverty.
- China’s Amazonian railway ‘threatens uncontacted tribes’ and the rainforest
- Russian official causes outrage with 'shrivelled women' remarks
- Bus company pulls topless 'ride me' adverts after outcry
- Priest Who Ran Meth Ring Sentenced to 5 Years
- Environmentalists sue over theme park's solar farm plans
- Thousands worldwide march against Monsanto and GM crops