Vatican: Irish gay marriage vote a 'defeat for humanity'
By NICOLE WINFIELD
May 27, 2015
Pope Francis exchanges his skull cap with one donated to him, as he leaves at the end of his weekly general audience, in St. Peter's Square, at the Vatican, Wednesday, May 27, 2015. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican's secretary of state has called the Irish vote to legalize gay marriage a "defeat for humanity," evidence of the soul-searching going on in Catholic circles after the predominantly Roman Catholic country overwhelmingly rejected traditional church teaching on marriage.
Turkish minister defends spending on posh cars as 'peanuts'
24 May 2015
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's finance minister has come under criticism for defending government spending of $1.3 billion on luxury cars and other vehicles for officials as "peanuts."
One in five Italian species 'at risk of extinction'
21 May 2015
From corals to sharks, the sea is 'losing biodiversity'. (foto: ANSA)
(ANSA) - Rome - One in five animal species in Italy are at risk of extinction, Legambiente environmentalist group said Thursday.
- Up to 8 million birds poached in Italy each year
- Texas hunter shoots endangered Namibian rhino for $350,000
- Myanmar's dam plans may cause new kind of poverty, villagers warn
- China’s Amazonian railway ‘threatens uncontacted tribes’ and the rainforest
- Russian official causes outrage with 'shrivelled women' remarks
- Bus company pulls topless 'ride me' adverts after outcry
- Priest Who Ran Meth Ring Sentenced to 5 Years
- Environmentalists sue over theme park's solar farm plans
- Thousands worldwide march against Monsanto and GM crops